Wing Luke Asian Museum Historic Family Association Room
Here, longtime Seattle and Chinatown resident Bill Chin describe how, in the early 1900s, the Gee How Oak Tin Family Association occupied the third floor of what is now the Wing Luke Asian Museum. He speaks from the Historic Family Association Room where Chinese immigrants used to dine and play mah jong. The room has been preserved as part of the museum.
A brief timeline of the Chinese association:
1900 The Gee How Oak Tin Family Association started in a donated 2-room house from Chin Chun Hock.
1910 The association moved to a larger space, currently in the new Wing Luke Asian Museum.
1921 The Association purchases the current headquarters, on 513 7th Ave in Seattle, less than a mile away. Bill Chin's father, Chin Jackman, along with Chin Han, raise the $48 thousand it cost to purchase the new place.
1934 Under the leadership of Bill Chin's father, Chin Jackman, the association travels up and down, to raise money to remodel the headquarters.
1990 The Gee How Oak Tin Association headquarters undergo a major renovation under the leadership of Hing W. Chinn, Ark Chin and Andrew Chin.