Test your knowledge of literary trivia found in "Who the Hell is Pansy O'Hara"
A quiz of the literary trivia found in "Who the Hell is Pansy O'Hara"
Test your knowledge of literary trivia found in "Who the Hell Is Pansy O'Hara" by Jenny Bond and Chris Sheedy (Penguin, $13 in paper). Match the following statements with the book titles listed. Answers appear below.
1. Which book was saved by the author's wife, who rescued it from the trash and encouraged her husband to finish it?
2. Which book gets stolen most from libraries?
3. Which book was reportedly based on Carole Landis, Grace Kelly, Judy Garland and Ethel Merman?
4. What was the original name for Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice"?
5. Which book was burned by angry Californians for its portrayal of migrant working conditions?
6. Which book was influenced by its author's violent childhood?
7. Which book took almost 40 years to complete?
8. Which book was written by someone who was shot in the neck 10 days after joining the Spanish Civil War?
9. Which book was written as filler for a chapter in a magazine?
10. Which 3,000-page manuscript was copied seven times by hand by the author's wife?
A. "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky
B. "The War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells
C. "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy
D. "Doctor Zhivago" by Boris Pasternak
E. "Guinness World Records"
F. "Valley of the Dolls" by Jacqueline Susann
G. "First Impressions"
H. "Carrie" by Stephen King
I. "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding
J. "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck
1, H; 2, E; 3, F; 4, G; 5, J; 6, I; 7, D; 8, B; 9, A; 10, C
Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company