Seattle University’s Kacie Sowell named to All-WAC first team
Senior averages 14.9 points for Redhawks
Seattle University’s Kacie Sowell was named to the first-team All-Western Athletic Conference women’s basketball team Monday while teammate Sylvia Shephard was named to the second team and the all-defensive squad.
Sowell, a 6-foot-2 senior, averages 14.9 points and 9.2 rebounds for the Redhawks. Shephard, a 5-10 junior, averages 12.7 points and 6.8 rebounds. The Redhawks (14-15, 9-7 WAC) meet Kansas City (11-18, 7-9) in the quarterfinals of the WAC tournament Wednesday at 6 p.m. in Las Vegas.
• Eastern Washington’s Lexie Nelson has been named to the All-Big Sky women’s basketball team for a second consecutive year. The junior averages 16.1 points.
• Sophomore Tyler Harvey of the Eastern Washington men was named to the All-Big Sky first team for basketball. Harvey led the Big Sky with 21.8 points a game.
• Western Washington shot putter Frank Catelli was named the NCAA Division II West Region field athlete of the year for his top mark of 57 feet, 5 inches during the indoor season. WWU’s Pee Wee Halsell was the coach of the year.
• Payden Lamb and Mitch Gunsolus each had two hits for Gonzaga (3-9), but the Zags struck out 15 times and dropped a 1-0 road decision to UC Irvine (10-3).
• Washington’s Jonathan Sanders fired a 4-under 67 on Pacific Dunes to take a one-stroke lead at the Bandon Dunes Championship in Oregon. The Huskies are in fourth place with a 13-over 581.
• Seattle U finished 11th out of 13 teams at the San Diego Classic.
From sports-information reports.