Chat at noon Tuesday: Let's talk Taylor Bridge fire with John N. Maclean
Join us here at noon Tuesday for a live chat about the Taylor Bridge fire, what is causing these mega wildfires and what needs to change to prevent more from happening. Our chat panelists are:
- Seattle Times editorial writer John Saul
- Author John N. Maclean, who wrote "The Thirtymile Fire," a book about the 2001 fire in north-central Washington that killed four firefighters.
- A representative from the state Department of Natural Resources
Here is some of our recent coverage in the opinion section:
- Editorial: Taylor Bridge fire demonstrates need for better forest practices
- Interactive map: How Taylor Bridge compares to fires around the country
- Op ed by Gary Morishima: Mega wildfires will become the norm without change
- Op ed by John N. Maclean: People who start wildfires should be held accountable
Have questions? Let us know in this form and we will do our best to answer them during the chat.
Update 10:47 a.m.After committing to participating in this chat earlier, the state Department of Natural Resources now says it does not want to participate in it. Spokesman Bryan Flint said because the agency is investigating the wildfire, it does not want to say anything until its work is done.
Achenblog by Joel Achenbach
Postman On Politics