Prep Basketball Roundup | Tony Wroten injury can't slow Garfield
Garfield lost Tony Wroten Jr. to a sprained ankle in the first quarter, but rolled to a 68-37 KingCo 4A boys basketball victory over Woodinville...
Scores & stats
Garfield lost Tony Wroten Jr. to a sprained ankle in the first quarter, but rolled to a 68-37 KingCo 4A boys basketball victory over Woodinville Tuesday night at Garfield.
Wroten had scored 10 points when he was injured coming down after making a three-point basket. Team officials said they believed the injury was not serious.
The 6-foot-5 sophomore is averaging 20.6 points in five games for the Bulldogs (7-1 overall, 6-0 KingCo), ranked No. 1 in the state in Class 4A.
De'Andre Taylor led Garfield with 15 points.
Other 4A boys
Federal Way 81, at Kent-Meridian 47
The No. 2 Eagles got 20 points from Andre Barrington and 19 from Michael Hale III in an easy SPSL North win.
At Kentwood 60, Tahoma 29
The No. 3 Conquerors put the Bears away early with an 18-0 lead after one quarter. Josh Smith scored 19 for Kentwood. Christian Behrens of Tahoma scored a game-high 22.
Puyallup 67, at Bethel 47
Killian Larson, a 6-foot-9 senior, scored a season-high 30 points for fourth-ranked Puyallup. Larson, who has scored in double figures in every game this season, raised his average to 18.5 points.
At Decatur 58, Beamer 50
Marcus Tibbs had 15 points, seven rebounds and seven assists for the No. 5 Gators, who overcame 12 points and 18 rebounds by 6-8 Kevin Davis of the Titans. Jerron Smith had a game-high 16 points for Decatur.
Kentridge 63, at Jefferson 54
The No. 6 Chargers were tied at halftime before pulling away in the third quarter of the SPSL North game.
Class 3A boys
Rainier Beach 65, at Nathan Hale 30
The No. 2 Vikings led 22-6 after one quarter of the Metro League game. D'Vonne Pickett's 17 points led Beach.
At Clover Park 56, Auburn Mountainview 42
No. 7 Clover Park remained SPSL 3A's only unbeaten team with a win over the Lions.
At Enumclaw 52, Franklin Pierce 36
Riley Carel scored 16 and Coleman Clyde 15 for No. 8 Enumclaw, which led by 17 at halftime in the SPSL 3A game after a 14-2 second-quarter run.
Class 4A girls
Kentwood 74, at Tahoma 43
No. 2 Kentwood got 21 points from Jessie Genger, and Lindsey Moore and Kylie Huerta combined for 27 more as the Conquerors stayed perfect with an SPSL North win.
Auburn Riverside 56, at Kentlake 35
The No. 5 Ravens built a 34-14 lead and cruised in the SPSL North.
Edmonds-Woodway 52, at Glacier Peak 48
No. 10 Edmonds-Woodway survived a fourth-quarter comeback by the Grizzlies, who trailed by 12 after three quarters.
Class 3A girls
White River 77, at Sumner 34
Megan McKune (16) and Kendall Williams (14) combined for 30 points as the fourth-ranked Hornets stayed unbeaten.
Meadowdale 66, at Lynnwood 63
No. 8 Meadowdale survived an upset bid by the Royals, who led 49-42 going into the fourth quarter of the WesCo South game. The Mavericks rallied to tie it with less than a minute remaining, then made all their free throws down the stretch. Hanna Fjortoft scored 11 of her game-high 23 points in the fourth quarter for Meadowdale. Mokun Fajemisin had 16 points, eight rebounds and six blocks for Lynnwood.
• Junior guard Ryan Todd scored a season-high 27 points and Jackson came from behind in the fourth quarter for a 70-64 win that knocked Mountlake Terrace out of the WesCo South lead.
• Brandon Hill hit six three-pointers and scored a season-best 28 points, and Nick Persha added 19 points in Glacier Peak's 76-60 WesCo win over Edmonds-Woodway.
• Tim Ohlsen had a season-high 29 points in Monroe's 75-60 WesCo North win over Cascade.
• Inglemoor outlasted Newport 74-73 in overtime in a KingCo 4A boys game, with 6-4 Zach Nicklos collecting 20 points and 12 rebounds for the Vikings.
• Freshman Brian Miller, a late-game replacement after three Islanders fouled out, hit four straight free throws to help Mercer Island beat Sammamish 60-54 in a KingCo 3A/2A boys game. The Islanders went 8 for 8 at the foul line in the final 1:10.
• Lakeside beat Eastside Catholic 47-45 in a Metro boys game on Sam Fein's off-balance runner at the buzzer. E.C. had tied the score on Nile Kramer's three-pointer with 16 seconds left.
• Jamaal Jones had 30 points for Graham-Kapowsin in an SPSL 4A South boys loss to Rogers.
• Mitch Hagerty had 31 points, 10 rebounds and two steals and Ryan Rogers scored 27 as Auburn Riverside outscored Kentlake 90-81. Jeff Budinich had 26 points and 16 rebounds for Kentlake.
• J.D. Melton scored with 30 seconds left, then took a charge to secure Archbishop Murphy's 59-55 Cascade Conference boys win over Coupeville 59-55. Melton had 21 points, nine rebounds and three steals.
• Jamie Meyer scored a school-record 35 points in Bear Creek's 76-29 boys win over Chief Leschi.
Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company
NEW - 8:27 PM
All-league boys basketball teams
NEW - 8:31 PM
All-league girls basketball teams
NEW - 8:21 PM
Stars of the week