Skip to main content

Originally published November 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM | Page modified November 9, 2012 at 11:17 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Skyline's second-quarter burst sinks Lake Stevens, 42-0 | 4A Football

Trevor Barney had three of Skyline's five interceptions and the Spartans scored 22 points in less than four minutes of the second quarter to beat the Vikings.

Special to The Seattle Times

Prep sports gear

Find your school. Custom t-shirts,
hoodies and more. Shop now!
Powered by Prep Sportswear

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >


SAMMAMISH — Skyline erupted for 22 points in a second-quarter span of 3 minutes, 41 seconds and Trevor Barney intercepted three passes and ran for a touchdown as the Spartans ran away from Lake Stevens 42-0 Friday night in the first round of the Class 4A state football playoffs.

In the quarterfinals, the top-ranked Spartans (11-0) will play Roosevelt at 5 p.m. Friday at Memorial Stadium in Seattle. Skyline beat Roosevelt 57-14 on Sept. 21.

Early Skyline ineffectiveness gave Lake Stevens (8-3) confidence going into the second quarter, but it was quickly erased. The Spartans limited the Vikings to minus-2 yards in the second half and minus-15 yards rushing after halftime.

Skyline piled up 401 total yards to Lake Stevens' 62.

"The second quarter we came out hot, we knew what we needed to do and we took care of business," said Barney, a receiver and defensive back who made three of his team's five interceptions. "We had amazing pressure on the quarterback. I love those guys up front, because it makes my job really easy when I only have to pass-cover for couple of seconds.

"Their quarterback (Gavin O'Neil) was obviously feeling the pressure. He had to get rid of it quick, and it allowed us to make plays on the balls."

Skyline came up empty on its first four possessions — rare for the Spartans.

Then, it was boom, boom, boom as quarterback Max Browne found Matt Sinatro down the sideline for an 80-yard touchdown strike to start the second-quarter spree.

Interceptions led to two more scores and a 22-0 lead with 1:18 left before halftime.

Browne completed 10 of 21 passes for 278 yards and three TDs.

"They scored three quick ones, and that changed the momentum," said Lake Stevens coach Tom Tri.

"Our kids, give them credit. They never had that star-struck look in their eye. Once we got down, that's where the wheels started coming off."

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

 Subscribe today!

Subscribe today!

99¢ for four weeks of unlimited digital access.



NDN Video