Skip to main content

Originally published Friday, November 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (1)
  • Print

Sumner wins shootout, advances to 2A title game | Girls Soccer

Reserve goalkeeper Abby Wilson came off the bench to make a game-winning save in the penalty shootout as Sumner beat Squalicum to advance to its first title game.

Special to The Seattle Times

Prep sports gear

Find your school. Custom t-shirts,
hoodies and more. Shop now!
Powered by Prep Sportswear

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
Abby Wilison AKA Abby Smith!!!! Way to go! MORE


SHORELINE — The most dominant team in Class 2A girls soccer this year, top-ranked Sumner had not faced such difficulty.

But in their first overtime test and first penalty shootout — in the state semifinals, no less — the Spartans passed with flying colors Friday night at Shoreline Stadium.

Reserve goalkeeper Abby Wilson came off the bench to make a game-winning save in the penalty shootout, and despite not scoring in the first 80 minutes or overtime, Sumner advanced to its first title game with a 1-0 win over No. 4 Squalicum.

The Spartans (20-0) play Sehome for the championship at 4 p.m. Saturday. Squalicum (19-2-1), from Bellingham, is still guaranteed the best finish in school history. The Storm plays West Valley of Yakima for third place at noon.

"It's amazing," Sumner coach Robi Turley said. "That was obviously a tough battle for us, so we need to be able to come back out with the same intensity and fire (Saturday)."

Squalicum grabbed a 3-2 lead in the shootout, thanks to a first-shooter miss by the Spartans. But the Storm missed its final two penalties, including the final one, in which Wilson dived to her left and made the save before being mobbed by teammates.

"There's nothing better than that feeling," Wilson said. "Just having your whole team run to you, and knowing that you just helped win a huge game."

Wilson was a late entry for Sumner, as starting goalie Jamie Lange held Squalicum scoreless through two halves and two sudden-death overtimes. Turley said Wilson has more experience on penalty kicks and is quicker on them, and the team knew before Friday's game that Wilson would enter if it reached a shootout.

That the game was scoreless so long was still a surprise. Sumner had been averaging more than seven goals per game while allowing only two.

Each team had plenty of chances. No Sumner attack came closer than in the 54th minute. After a dangerous cross in front of the net, Kaylie Rozell's header went off the crossbar. The ball bounced back out to Sumner's Kelsie Colman, who fired it off the left goal post.

Squalicum controlled play for much of the first half and had several late scoring opportunities.

"Going into halftime, we were a little bit down," Turley said. "We had some real frustrated players. They're fast and skilled, and they were attacking, attacking, attacking. We were struggling, because we haven't faced that style."

Less than 10 minutes after Sumner's second-half attack, Squalicum had several chances of its own. The Storm kept playing the ball in front of Sumner's net and putting pressure on the Spartans, a sequence that ended with Kim Hazlett shooting off the right goalpost from 20 yards out.

And early in the first overtime, The Storm's Kim Hazlett had a shot skim off the top of the crossbar.

Other semifinal

Sehome 4,

West Valley (Yakima) 0

Sixth-ranked Sehome (20-1-1) continued its quest for a second state title in three years, dominating second-ranked and previously unbeaten West Valley (20-1).

Emily Webster scored two second-half goals and Mariners goalkeepers Rachel Albert and Hannah Lauffer combined on the shutout.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Relive the magic

Relive the magic

Shop for unique souvenirs highlighting great sports moments in Seattle history.



NDN Video