Skip to main content

Originally published Friday, October 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Couple torn between two kitchen-faucet styles

Both the “pullout” and “pull-down” kitchen faucets have advantages and plumber Ed Del Grande helps you decide what might be best for your kitchen.

Scripps Howard News Service

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >


Q: My wife and I are installing a new kitchen faucet and we’ve narrowed the choices down to a “pullout” or a “pull-down” kitchen faucet. Can you please offer some benefits of both styles to help us decide?

— George and Lucy, Rhode Island

A: Both faucet styles have a spout with a built-in spray head that extends with a flexible hose to perform normal kitchen chores. This eliminates the need for a deck-mounted sprayer, which gives the sink an uncluttered look.

However, like the names say, a pullout kitchen-faucet spray head pulls out from the faucet horizontally, while a pull-down faucet has a candy-cane-shape spout, and the spray head pulls down vertically.

Here’s where I have seen a difference: For filling things away from the sink, like a countertop coffee maker or a dog dish, the pullout style with the horizontal motion seems to have the edge. For washing kitchen-sink basins, I think the pull-down type with its vertical motion gets the upper hand.

I hope that helps you get a “better grip” on your options!

Master contractor/plumber Ed Del Grande is known internationally as the author of the book “Ed Del Grande’s House Call,” the host of TV and Internet shows, and a LEED green associate. For more information, visit


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►