Skip to main content

Originally published Friday, October 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments ((0))
  • Print

Couple torn between two kitchen-faucet styles

Both the “pullout” and “pull-down” kitchen faucets have advantages and plumber Ed Del Grande helps you decide what might be best for your kitchen.

Scripps Howard News Service

No comments have been posted to this article.


Q: My wife and I are installing a new kitchen faucet and we’ve narrowed the choices down to a “pullout” or a “pull-down” kitchen faucet. Can you please offer some benefits of both styles to help us decide?

— George and Lucy, Rhode Island

A: Both faucet styles have a spout with a built-in spray head that extends with a flexible hose to perform normal kitchen chores. This eliminates the need for a deck-mounted sprayer, which gives the sink an uncluttered look.

However, like the names say, a pullout kitchen-faucet spray head pulls out from the faucet horizontally, while a pull-down faucet has a candy-cane-shape spout, and the spray head pulls down vertically.

Here’s where I have seen a difference: For filling things away from the sink, like a countertop coffee maker or a dog dish, the pullout style with the horizontal motion seems to have the edge. For washing kitchen-sink basins, I think the pull-down type with its vertical motion gets the upper hand.

I hope that helps you get a “better grip” on your options!

Master contractor/plumber Ed Del Grande is known internationally as the author of the book “Ed Del Grande’s House Call,” the host of TV and Internet shows, and a LEED green associate. For more information, visit


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►