Skip to main content

Originally published October 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM | Page modified October 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments ((0))
  • Print

Washington-Oregon game has officials in the middle of it early

During a bizarre sequence in the first quarter, game officials reviewed three consecutive plays at the end of Oregon’s first touchdown drive.

Seattle Times staff reporter

No comments have been posted to this article.


During a bizarre sequence in the first quarter, game officials reviewed three consecutive plays at the end of Oregon’s first touchdown drive.

Initially, Oregon’s Josh Huff was ruled to have fumbled inside the Washington 1-yard line, with UW getting possession because of a touchback. After a review, that call was overturned and the Ducks retained possession inside the 1.

On the next play, UO quarterback Marcus Mariota dived to the end zone and was ruled in for a touchdown. After a review, that touchdown was overturned, giving Oregon a fourth-and-goal inside the 1.

On the next play, UO running back Byron Marshall was flipped upside over in a pile of players. It took about 10 seconds for officials to sort out the mass of bodies before ruling Marshall had scored. After a review, the touchdown stood, giving the Ducks a 7-0 lead at the 6:22 mark of the first.

Later, a called interception by Oregon safety Avery Patterson was also reviewed. The interception was later overturned and UW retained possession.

The Huskies, of course, were denied a chance at a late comeback a week earlier at Stanford when Keith Price’s fourth-down pass to Kevin Smith — initially ruled a catch — was overturned by the replay official. Stanford won, 31-28.

Missed opportunity

Jaydon Mickens led Washington with 50 receiving yards, but the sophomore wideout regretted a dropped pass early in the third quarter.

Keith Price delivered a perfect pass to Mickens across the middle who broke free on an inside route. However, the ball deflected off his chest and Oregon free safety Avery Patterson appeared to haul in a diving interception.

A replay overturned the turnover, but Washington’s drive stalled at the Ducks 12 and the Huskies settled for a 30-yard field that cut their deficit to 28-17.

“I believe it was really crucial,” Mickens said. “That was a guaranteed touchdown. My teammates said that a lot of stuff before that play happened, but I believe that could have changed the game.”

Huff comes alive

Oregon receiver Josh Huff left the game in the second quarter with a right ankle injury, but returned in the second half when he caught four passes for 103 yards. He finished with 107 receiving yards and six receptions.

“He didn’t have to campaign at all,” Oregon coach Mark Helfrich said. “He is a competitive dude and came up big.”

Huff hauled in a 65-yard touchdown pass early in the third quarter.

“I wasn’t surprised at all,” said receiver Bralon Addison who had 157 receiving yards on eight catches. “That guy’s fighter. We were all praying for him.

“When we went in at halftime, he was walking around in the locker room, jogging around. He’s so tough mentally and physically. I knew he was coming back.”

Road Warriors

The Ducks were impressed with renovated Husky Stadium, but they weren’t intimidated by the rowdy ‘Blackout’ crowd. Their 45-24 victory extended their road winning streak to 18.

“We prepare the same every week and if we are at home, we have crowd noise so the defense is emphasized,” Helfrich said. “If we’re on the road, it’s the other way. We try to keep it as much the same from routine whether we are at home or on the road.”


• Washington committed just five penalties which cost it 54 yards, both were season lows.

• Oregon attempted its first field goal in Pac-12 play this season when kicker Alejandro Maldonado converted a 34-yarder.

Staff writer Percy Allen

contributed to this report.

Relive the magic

Relive the magic

Shop for unique souvenirs highlighting great sports moments in Seattle history.


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►