Go to the politics section for more local and national politics coverage.
New leadership for several state Senate committees
Posted by Andrew Garber
Senate Majority Leader Lisa Brown says Sen. Ed Murray, D-Seattle, has been recommended by the caucus Committee on Committees to become chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, one of the most powerful jobs in the Legislature.
The full caucus will take up the recommendation in December. If approved, Murray would replace Sen. Margarita Prentice, D-Renton, who is in line to become the president pro tempore of the Senate.
- Other committee recommendations include:
- Sen. Rodney Tom, D-Bellevue, for chairman of the Higher Education Committee.
- Sen. Derek Kilimer, D-Gig Harbor, as vice chair of Ways and Means, which would put him in charge of the Capital budget for the Senate.
- Sen. Craig Pridemore, D-Vancouver, as chairman of the Government committee.
- Sen. Karen Fraser, D-Olympia, as chairwoman of the Senate Democratic caucus.
Brown said the full caucus has gone against committee recommendations in the past, but that as far as she knows no one else is shooting for the jobs.
Covers the Eastside.
Covers politics and state government from Olympia.
Covers local government.
Covers politics and regional issues from Washington, D.C.
Covers Seattle City Hall.
Covers King County and urban affairs.