Skip to main content

Originally published Friday, March 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (2)
  • Print

Homeowners, don't miss out on tax breaks

If you own a home, it pays to know the tax breaks that could be available to you. Here are five deductions spotlighted by personal-finance...

Los Angeles Times

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
For 2011, you can deduct PMI if you meet certain guidelines. But currently, I believe... MORE
Lots of things in this article will have people convinced they can claim deductions; an... MORE


If you own a home, it pays to know the tax breaks that could be available to you. Here are five deductions spotlighted by personal-finance writer David Bakke for the Zillow real-estate blog. For more specific information, see your tax preparer or call the IRS help line at 800-829-1040.

Mortgage interest. You're generally entitled to reduce your taxable income by the amount of mortgage interest you pay, as long as you itemize deductions on your tax return. Your lender should have sent you a 1098 form in January showing exactly how much interest was paid.

Private mortgage insurance. If you're paying PMI, the amount is likely to be fully deductible as long as your adjusted gross income is $100,000 or less ($50,000 for married taxpayers filing separately). Borrowers with incomes above $100,000 may qualify for a partial deduction.

Energy-efficient home improvements. If you installed windows, doors or skylights that met the requirements of the federal Energy Star program in 2011, you could get a tax credit equal to 10 percent of the product's costs. Hold on to receipts and documentation in case the IRS asks.

Points. The charges you paid in points to get a mortgage are generally deductible if it was a first mortgage on the property. In the case of a refinance of a loan, all or some of the point charges might be deductible, but it gets complicated — check with your tax preparer or the IRS.

Property taxes. The amount you pay in property taxes is deductible as long as it is based on the assessed value of your property. If your mortgage company collects money from you for the taxes, the amount actually paid should be on the 1098 form you receive.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Relive the magic

Relive the magic

Shop for unique souvenirs highlighting great sports moments in Seattle history.



NDN Video