Originally published December 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM | Page modified December 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Philadelphia's Trent Cole says he was fined $7,500 for flipping Okung

Philadelphia defensive end Trent Cole tells The Philadelphia Inquirer he was fined $7,500 for play that left Seahawks tackle Russell Okung with a torn pectoral muscle and ended his season.

Seattle Times staff reporter


St. Louis @ Seahawks, 5:30 p.m., ESPN

quotes East coast bias is the NFL. Fine should have been in the 20000+ range. Read more
quotes sfniners its completely different... rocky bernard record a sack... yeah it sucks he go... Read more
quotes Just because the ref didn't see it the act never happened. The NFL referee culture... Read more


The NFL did not ignore the actions that caused the season-ending injury to Seahawks left tackle Russell Okung.

Not entirely.

Eagles defensive end Trent Cole told The Philadelphia Inquirer he was fined $7,500 by the NFL for the play in which Cole flipped Okung over onto his back late in the fourth quarter of Thursday's game, resulting in a torn right pectoral muscle that ended Okung's season.

The amount Cole was fined is equal to the fine Golden Tate received last week from the NFL for falling onto his back in celebrating his fourth-quarter touchdown, and it's less than the $10,000 Chicago receiver Earl Bennett was fined last month for wearing orange cleats for a second consecutive game.

After the game, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll stopped short of calling the play dirty, but he did say it was "out of line" and worthy of investigation by the league. The NFL does not confirm fine amounts until Friday, but Cole discussed the situation in Philadelphia Wednesday.

"I'm not a dirty player," Cole said, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. "At the time, all the stuff that led up to that, there was a lot of stuff that happened in that game. ... Watch that game closely and key on Okung and key on me and you'll see what I'm talking about."

The two players did skirmish after the whistle several times during the game, and it's always difficult to discern who was at fault and when it crossed the line. What was apparent Thursday, though, was that with less than two minutes remaining in a game Seattle led by 17 points, Seattle's left tackle suffered a season-ending injury after the whistle and away from the ball. Okung engaged Cole on a block as Leon Washington ran off tackle to the other side of the field. Okung kept in contact with Cole, who was trying to get away and as the play ended, Cole kept a hold on Okung's right arm and jerked Okung over the top of him and onto his back.

"You all seen what happened," Cole said Wednesday, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. "The guy was on my back after the whistle. He was holding me the whole game. If you look at that play he had me hooked. I'm running to the ball and he had me hooked."

Seattle center Max Unger saw Okung land on his back and then what he thought was a blow from Cole to Okung's stomach. He pointed it out to an official, who indicated he did not see what had happened. No penalty was called on the play.

Okung sought to confront Cole on the field after the game, but was held back by Seahawks teammate Clinton McDonald. Okung, Seattle's first-round pick in 2010, has been placed on injured reserve and likely will undergo surgery.

Danny O'Neil: 206-464-2364 or On Twitter @dannyoneil

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon


NDN Video