Documents: Aaron Hernandez admitted firing fatal shots, police are told
A man linked to the murder case involving ex-New England tight end Aaron Hernandez cast him as the triggerman in a police interview.
The Associated Press
ATTLEBORO, Mass. – A man linked to the murder case involving ex-New England tight end Aaron Hernandez cast him as the triggerman in a police interview, according to documents filed Tuesday in Florida that provide the most damning evidence yet against the athlete.
The records, obtained by The Associated Press, also show a vehicle of interest in a double killing in Boston a year before had been rented in Hernandez’s name.
Hernandez has been charged with murder in the June killing of Boston semipro football player Odin Lloyd, 27.
The records show Hernandez associate Carlos Ortiz told Massachusetts investigators another man, Ernest Wallace, said Hernandez shot Lloyd in an industrial park near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough.
Hernandez, 23, has pleaded not guilty in Lloyd’s killing.
The documents were filed in court by the Miramar, Fla., police department to justify a search of Wallace’s mother’s home in that city.
The records also show police, while investigating Lloyd’s killing, searched in Hernandez’s hometown of Bristol, Conn., and found a vehicle sought in connection with a July 2012 double homicide near a Boston nightclub.
Prosecutors allege Hernandez, Wallace and Ortiz drove with Lloyd in a rented Nissan Altima to the industrial park where Lloyd was fatally shot.
Later, as Wallace and Ortiz were driving to Bristol, Wallace said Hernandez shot Lloyd, according to Ortiz’s account to police. The gun believed to be used in the killing has not been found.
Meanwhile, eight search warrants were unsealed in Massachusetts after news organizations sought access to them.
Records show Hernandez became “argumentative” during his first encounter with police at his home about five hours after Lloyd’s body was found by a jogger. Hernandez told police he had last seen Lloyd in Boston the day before. He asked, “What’s with all the questions?” and later slammed a door.
• Quarterback Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions have agreed to terms on a $53 million, three-year extension to keep him under contract through 2017, according to a source familiar with the deal. Stafford, 25, gets $41.5 million in guaranteed money in the extension.
• With two team executives facing charges of driving under the influence, the Denver Broncos acknowledged a “disturbing pattern of irresponsible behavior” they vowed to clean up.
Tom Heckert, recently hired director of pro personnel, was arrested in Parker, Colo., on June 11 and charged with DUI and careless driving.
Word of his arrest came one day after director of player personnel Matt Russell apologized for his arrest over the weekend on suspicion of DUI.