Skip to main content

Originally published September 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM | Page modified September 16, 2013 at 2:01 AM

  • Share:
  • Comments (3)
  • Print

Seahawks weather the storm

The Seahawks weathered the storm in Sunday night’s victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

Seattle Times staff reporter

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
Officials. They need to call what's in front of them. The "blocked... MORE
Penalties. The Seahawks need to stop the penalties. MORE
Loved the win, not thrilled with the showboating and sloppy play. Making a big play is... MORE


The Seahawks don’t have weather delays often. But when they do, they happen against the 49ers.

Sunday night’s game against San Francisco was delayed by an hour after lightning was spotted in the area, officials saying conditions were unsafe for coaches and players.

The stoppage, in a game the Seahawks went on to win 29-3, came at 6:05 p.m. with the game tied at zero and 3:13 remaining in the first quarter.

It was the second time a Seahawks game at CenturyLink Field had been delayed, the other also coming against the 49ers in 2006. That time, heavy rain forced a 12-minute delay, a game the 49ers went on to win 24-14.

Sunday night, though, it was the Seahawks who seemed to weather the storm better, dominating the 49ers after the delay.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said that if anything, the delay rejuvenated his team, even after a couple reports that play would be resumed earlier were false.

“They were having a blast in the locker room,’’ Carroll said. “They told us we were coming out, then they changed that time, then they changed it again, changed it again, didn’t matter. The guys were having fun, getting excited to go back out and play some more. So that worked out great. Sorry for everybody that had to sit around for an hour, but it worked out OK for us. It was a good challenge.’’

Okung goes down

Seattle starting left tackle Russell Okung was forced to leave the game in the second quarter due to a left foot injury.

Okung was initially taken to the locker room to evaluate the injury. He returned to the field in full uniform but did not return to the field.

Carroll said Okung has “a sore toe. … He did something, we don’t know what it is right now. We’ve got to figure it out.’’

He was replaced by starting left guard Paul McQuistan, who moved outside with James Carpenter stepping in at left guard.

Lynch’s stall tactic

Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch had a unique entry into the end zone on a 7-yard touchdown pass from Russell Wilson in the fourth quarter, coming to a stop in front of the goal line with nary a 49er defender in sight before tip-toeing his way in.

“He just wanted to make sure he got in,’’ Carroll said. “He was kind of surprised there was nobody there.’’

Lynch, who rarely speaks to the media, was not available afterward. But Wilson said Lynch told him he “wanted to take time off the clock.’’

Avril makes impact

Defensive end Cliff Avril, one of Seattle’s prized free-agent signees, finally got on the field having battled a hamstring injury throughout training camp, an injury that also caused him to miss the first game.

He didn’t need long to make his presence felt, forcing a fumble of San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick that set up a second-quarter field goal.

Avril, though, gave credit to the secondary for keeping San Francisco’s receivers well-covered.

“They allowed us to rush, made him hold the ball a little longer than usual, and we got after him a little bit,’’ Avril said.


• Carroll said a blocked punt in the first quarter came when a few Seattle players hesitated after hearing a whistle from the stands that they thought was from the field. “The timing just didn’t work and they rushed when we weren’t ready and they did a great job to block it,’’ Carroll said. “The important part is we went out and stopped them and they didn’t get any points out of it.’’ The drive ended with an Earl Thomas interception at the 1-yard-line.

• In what wasn’t a surprise, given that he hadn’t practiced all week, cornerback Brandon Browner was unable to suit up Browner hurt his hamstring the Wednesday before the opener against Carolina and has not practiced since, though the team had held out hope that he might recover well enough to give it a shot. Browner wrote via Twitter: “Lord knows I did everything in my power to get ready, slept with machines to my leg. I do know the team is ready tho #bestndawest.” Without Browner, Walter Thurmond again got the start, and when he moved inside in nickel situations, Byron Maxwell filled in on the outside.

• Browner was one of Seattle’s seven inactive players for the game. The others were: S Jeron Johnson, RB Christine Michael, OLs Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey, DE Chris Clemons and DT Jordan Hill.

Bob Condotta: 206-515-5699 or

On Twitter @bcondotta

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Relive the magic

Relive the magic

Shop for unique souvenirs highlighting great sports moments in Seattle history.



The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►