Camp Carroll: Day 9
Posted by Danny O'Neil
Camp Carroll: Day 9
One practice | Full pads | Attendance: 6,231
Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck was limited in practice, participating early in drills and the team, 11-on-11 portion of practice. He did not play during the scrimmage because of a sore hamstring.
"He'll be back on Tuesday, rearing to go," Carroll said. "We're in good shape to get him back. He could have gone today and wanted to. We gave him a bunch of the reps early in the practice part of it so that he would get some work today."
"Remember how he took off the other day at practice and tried to outrun everbody?" Carroll said. "Well, that was it. I said, 'Tried.' He did outrun everybody on that play. I'll hear it from him. He did turn the corner pretty good, and he pulled up lame so he's not going to do much of that."
• Tight end John Carlson sat out entirely, limited by a oblique injury.
• Center Chris Spencer was kicked in the right leg and had an ice pack on the injury after practice.
• Left tackle Russell Okung continues to work with the second-unit offensive line, Ray Willis is still among the starters.
• Receiver Mike Williams showed how valuable he can be as a red-zone target, first on a fade route toward the back of the end zone that he lost the handle on when it hit the ground and then a quick slant from Charlie Whitehurst
"He's big and rangy," Whitehurst said. "And he's pretty easy to throw to. There was a fade he had there in the end zone, he almost made a play. You just throw it up and let him make a play.
Then the quick slant he did catch?
"That would be the complementary play to the fade there," Whitehurst said.
• Carroll addressed the injury to Isaiah Stanback, who suffered a torn Achilles on Saturday. He was waived/injured, replaced on the active roster by Mike Hass.
"If you guys have been around those Achilles when they go it's shocking because it doesn't even hurt. It didn't hurt him. He just felt it and thought he got kicked in the back of the leg, that's what the guys always say.
"He's going to miss a great deal of time. He's going to have surgery and all that kind of stuff. It's very unforunate. He was doing great. He was playing great football for us. His effort and his focus, his focus, his competitiveness was so obvious we were really excited about him making the team."
• Fullback Owen Schmitt was ferocious in his blocking, at one point losing his helmet on a block for Julius Jones.
• Leon Washington took part in the scrimmage, and his comeback proceeds quickly. He showed his quick-cutting ability, cutting upfield, then making a juke at the second level and continuing on downfield.
• WR Deon Butler made the most exciting catch of the day, a diving reception on a throw by Whitehurst.
"He's probably been the most improved receiver, the most improved guy maybe even at his position other than maybe Red Bryant," Carroll said of Butler. "He's just made a lot of progress. He made another big play today. He's got terrific speed, but to make tough catches like that with guys going up, that's the stuff you like to see."
• LBs Lofa Tatupu (hamstring) and Aaron Curry (concussion) were out with injuries, which moved Leroy Hill to the first-unit defense though he was at strong-side linebacker.
• CB Josh Wilson had some repetitions with the first-team defense during the scrimmage.
Dec 24 - 6:10 AM Looking back: Revisiting Sunday's scouting report
Dec 24 - 1:09 AM Seahawks' scoring binge
Dec 24 - 1:01 AM Video: Summing Seattle's victory
Dec 24 - 12:58 AM Video: Russell Wilson post-game comments
Dec 24 - 12:21 AM Rookie passing roll call