The Seattle Times Company

NWjobs | NWautos | NWhomes | NWsource | Free Classifieds |


Our network sites | Advanced

Originally published October 17, 2005 at 12:00 AM | Page modified October 17, 2005 at 10:01 PM

E-mail E-mail article      Print Print      Share Share


Seahawks' Hamlin still in Harborview after assault

Seahawks free safety Ken Hamlin was admitted to Harborview Medical Center late last night or early this morning, a Harborview source confirmed.

Seattle Times staff reporter

KIRKLAND — Seahawks free safety Ken Hamlin is in the trauma unit of Harborview Medical Center today, the victim of an assault outside a downtown Seattle nightclub early this morning.

Dr. Stan Herring, one of the team's physicians, said Hamlin has a small blood clot on the left side of his brain and bruising of the brain tissue. He also has a skull fracture that appears to be caused by being struck in the head with a blunt object.

Hamlin also has a broken right hand. He's in serious condition but stable and has to be awakened periodically, though he is aware where he is and knows family is coming to see him.

An incident report from the Seattle Police Department said police responded at 2:04 a.m. today to a disturbance at the intersection of 1st Avenue South and South Main Street. According to the report, Hamlin was discovered on the ground and told police his head, neck and chest areas were in severe pain. The Seattle Fire Department was called to the scene and treated Hamlin, who was taken to Harborview.

Hamlin told police he didn't remember what had happened.

A witness at the scene, described as Hamlin's girlfriend, said she and Hamlin were leaving the club and were on the sidewalk when Hamlin placed his hand on a man in front of him and said, "Excuse me." The witness said Hamlin and the man began pushing each other after the man said something to Hamlin. After Hamlin punched the man in the face, another man approached Hamlin and hit him with his right forearm, knocking him to the ground.

The two men who had been involved with Hamlin then began fighting with others while Hamlin was on the ground. Other witnesses told police that one of the two men then picked up a street sign and hit Hamlin while he was on the ground. Police searched unsuccessfully for the two men at the scene.

Hamlin's agent, J. Lawrence Temple, said he is flying from Austin, Texas to Seattle to check on Hamlin, but said, "the [medical] reports I'm getting are that things are pretty good."

Hamlin, 24, made five tackles in the Seahawks' 42-10 victory over Houston last night at Qwest Field.

"His spirits are good considering the situation," Seahawks president Tim Ruskell said in a statement released by the team. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Ken and his family."

Hamlin was able to phone coach Mike Holmgren and said he was sorry, Holmgren said. Marquand Manuel will start in Hamlin's place against the Dallas Cowboys this Sunday at Qwest Field.

It was unclear whether any other Seahawks were at the nightclub when the assault took place.

E-mail E-mail article      Print Print      Share Share

More Sports

NFL, union resume labor talks at mediator's office

UPDATE - 08:52 AM
Hundreds attend funeral for fallen Mich. player

UPDATE - 09:40 AM
Norway's Tarjei Boe wins men's biathlon at worlds

Crying is OK, but admitting it is apparently not

NEW - 08:46 AM
Tripoli ruled unsafe for international soccer

More Sports headlines...


Get home delivery today!



AP Video

Entertainment | Top Video | World | Offbeat Video | Sci-Tech