NW Briefs | WSU men win Down Under
Robbie Cowgill had 19 points and six rebounds to lead Washington State University to an 85-70 men's basketball victory over the Southern...
Robbie Cowgill had 19 points and six rebounds to lead Washington State University to an 85-70 men's basketball victory over the Southern Districts Spartans in Brisbane, Australia.
The Cougars are 3-2 on a six-game tour of Australia and New Zealand.
Derrick Low scored 16 points for WSU, while Daven Harmeling had 12 points and seven rebounds. Kyle Weaver had 11 points and seven rebounds.
The team was to fly to Cairns for the final game of its tour, and will tour the Great Barrier Reef before returning home.
• Paul Campbell of Tigard, Ore., had a 3-under par 69 at Desert Canyon Golf Resort in Orondo (Douglas County) to lead the grand division at the Pacific Northwest Senior Men's Amateur Championship. Bill Meyer of Bellevue leads the open division after a 1-over par 73.
• Rashaad Powell, Donald Watts and Justin Murray of the Everett Explosion were named to play in the International Basketball League All-Star Game, scheduled for 2 p.m., July 1 at Warner Pacific College in Portland.
• R.J. Perkins (Sultan) and Travis Sterling (Kentridge) have signed to play basketball at Bellevue Community College.
• Javelin state champion Danielle Clauson (King's) signed to compete in track and field, as well as basketball, for Concordia University. The Cavaliers have also signed Jenna Olson (Stanwood) to run cross country.
• Seattle University junior swimmer Chris Coley, with a 3.84 grade-point average, was voted a second-team Academic All-American.
Compiled from sports-information
reports and other sources.