Skip to main content

Originally published Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM

  • Share:
  • Comments ((0))
  • Print

Uceny making peace with her Olympic fall in 1,500

Days after her fall, Morgan Uceny was still trying to piece together what exactly happened.

AP Sports Writer

No comments have been posted to this article.



Days after her fall, Morgan Uceny was still trying to piece together what exactly happened.

Uceny was in good position to challenge for a medal in the Olympic 1,500-meter final Friday, when she was tripped from behind on the last lap and fell to the track.

In one of the most memorable scenes at the Olympic track, Uceny smacked her palms against the surface in frustration before erupting into tears.

"I still don't know what happened," Uceny told The Associated Press in an email Sunday. "I've heard a few different things from people, but can't say definitively what or who caused the fall. I remember running in Lane 2 to try to avoid the crowding behind me. I was in a great position at the bell and was feeling great.

"Once I hit the ground, I was just devastated."

She was on her hands and knees, staring at the track in disbelief, when Asli Cakir Alptekin of Turkey won the race.

Uceny's fall was almost a reminder of what happened to Mary Decker Slaney, an overwhelming favorite to win gold in the 3,000 at the 1984 Olympics. In that race, Slaney collided with barefooted runner Zola Budd and tumbled to the track.

For Uceny, this was another painful moment at a major meet. She also fell at world championships last summer.

"I couldn't believe that this was happening to me again," said Uceny, who lives in Mammoth Lakes, Calif. "It seemed impossible and unreal. My emotions just took control and I couldn't do anything but sit there and cry. It feels unfair.

"I was thinking of all the sacrifices I have made and the commitments I made to get to the Olympics, and to have such an opportunity taken away from me felt cruel."

After her race, Uceny walked off the track with blood dripping from her leg and into the medical area. She left the stadium without talking to anyone.

Since that day, she's been spending time with family.

"I'm as good as I could be," Uceny said. "I fell really awkwardly and hard and got beat up pretty well."

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

 Subscribe today!

Subscribe today!

99¢ for four weeks of unlimited digital access.



NDN Video