The Seattle Times Company

NWjobs | NWautos | NWhomes | NWsource | Free Classifieds |

Local News

Our network sites | Advanced

The Blotter

The Times' criminal justice team looks behind the scenes and behind the headlines.

July 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Comments (0)     E-mail E-mail article      Print Print      Share Share

UPDATE: More details from Sunday's shooting in Renton

Posted by John de Leon

-- From Times staff reporter Christine Clarridge:

UPDATE: Renton police have released more details from Sunday's shooting that left one man hospitalized in critical condition and resulted in the arrest of a teenage boy.

Police said the 39-year-old Des Moines man was shot after he and a group of friends turned down a teen who had asked them for money.

Renton police spokeswoman Terri Vickers said the Des Moines man was walking with four of his friends when the 17-year-old Renton teen and a friend approached the five adults and asked for money. The larger group refused.

A short time later, according to police, the 39-year-old man was shot several times around 3:30 a.m. Sunday in the 300 block of Southwest Langston Road.

The victim did not know the shooter, Vickers said. The 17-year-old was booked into the King County juvenile detention center Sunday night for investigation of felony assault.

View Larger Map

Here's the original report:

-- From Times staff reporter Sara Jean Green:

A 39-year-old man was critically wounded early Sunday after he was shot by a 17-year-old Renton boy, according to Renton police.

There is no indication the man and the teen knew each other, said police spokeswoman Terri Vickers. She couldn't say what might have prompted the 3:27 a.m. shooting in the 300 block of Southwest Langston Road.

View Larger Map

The man was shot numerous times in the lower body and arm and has "gone back and forth between critical and stable" since being taken to "an area hospital" for treatment, Vickers said. While most gunshot victims are treated at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, Vickers would not confirm where the man was taken.

Police arrested the 17-year-old after finding him "walking nearby in the area," Vickers said. She could not provide any further details.

E-mail E-mail article      Print Print      Share Share

No comments have been posted to this article.

Recent entries

Jan 4, 12 - 10:10 AM
New poll shows voters split on legalizing marijuana




Browse the archives

July 2010

June 2010

May 2010

April 2010

March 2010

February 2010