The Times' criminal justice team looks behind the scenes and behind the headlines.
Icy streets delay firefighters in Bellevue
Posted by Jill Kimball
Correction: An earlier version of this story and its headline said the fire was in Newcastle.The fire was in Bellevue.
Icy streets prevented Bellevue fire trucks from reaching a garage fire Tuesday afternoon, and the structure burned to the ground. Crews had to walk up the hill and use fire hydrants to hose down the garage.
Bellevue Fire spokesman Lt. Eric Keenan said the fire was in a detached garage and guest unit next to a house on the 14000 block of Southeast 47th Street.
Three of the house’s residents were home at the time of the fire, but they weren’t aware the garage was burning until a neighbor knocked on the door to alert them.
The fire started from hot ashes one of the house’s residents had gathered from the fireplace and put in a bag in the garage, Keenan said. Another resident later saw the bag and, assuming it was trash, threw it in a nearby garbage can. The can then tipped over and burst into flames.
One of the residents tried to save a Volvo by backing it out of the garage, but the car caught fire before it was all the way.
The house did not catch fire and there were no injuries. Damage is estimated at upward of $100,000, Keenan said.
DEAN SMITH/ SPECIAL TO THE SEATTLE TIMES