anchor link to jump to start of content

The Seattle Times Company NWclassifieds NWsource Airport Insecurity Home delivery Contact us Search archives
Your account  Today's news index  Weather  Traffic  Movies  Restaurants  Today's events

Sunday, July 11, 2004 - Page updated at 12:00 a.m.
The Times collected 100 media reports of airport-security breaches since fall 2002, when TSA screeners took over. Screeners say that's a fraction of the incidents, and most are never disclosed.  View breaches by state:
Map of the United States: Click on a green state to read about breaches that occurred there Hawaii Washington Oregon California Nevada Arizona Colorado New Mexico Texas Arkansas Missouri Illinois Michigan Florida South Carolina North Carolina Virginia West Virginia Pennsylvania New York Massachusetts Connecticut Rhode Island New Jersey Maryland Indiana Kentucky Alabama Georgia New Hampshire Maine Utah Ohio
Airport Breach description
Kahului Airport A male passenger passed through the screening area around 1:15 p.m. despite the fact that his bag tested positive for explosives. Officials said the passenger picked up his bag and entered the sterile area, even though the trace examination was not complete. After officials unsuccessfully searched for the passenger in the concourse, the entire airport was evacuated and all passengers were rescreened. Security officials reopened the airport about 11/2 hours later, although they could not find the passenger during rescreening. Nine flights were delayed and 500 passenger were rescreened. [8/12/2003]
Source: Airport Security Report
Lihue Airport, Kauai A man with a handgun entered the airport through the Hawaiian Airlines baggage-claim area. He made his way past the security checkpoint and into the secure area, where he fired two shots. The man apparently said something to TSA personnel at the checkpoint before firing once into the ceiling and once into the floor. He continued down the concourse, toward boarding gates, and passengers dropped to the floor. He then ordered people out of the concourse. The suspect sat with the gun pointed at his head before police persuaded him to surrender, and he was arrested. The airport was closed for an hour. About 200 people were evacuated, and two Hawaiian flights were delayed. [May 2003]
Source: Airport Security Report

Today Archive

Advanced search

advertising home
Home delivery | Contact us | Search archive | Site map | Low-graphic
NWclassifieds | NWsource | Advertising info | The Seattle Times Company


Back to topBack to top