The call to dream: how to answer
School volunteers are needed now more than ever
Most school districts have volunteer coordinators; call the one nearest you. Here are a few numbers: Seattle School District, 206-298-7125; Lake Washington School District, (425) 702-3228; Federal Way School District, (253) 945-2106; Bellevue School District, (425) 456-4147. Volunteers may ask for a school or area they'd like to assist.
- If you're considering a pen-pal program similar to IBM's, call Pat Ostrander at 206-587-3034.
- Asa Mercer Middle, 206-768-3660.
- Rudy McCoy, 206-784-4284.
- Sealth High, 206-933-5300. Contact: Sylvia Neumann.
- Concord Elementary, 206-768-3690. Contact: Elizabeth Hein.
- Schools Unlimited, 206-723-1156. Contact: Linda Jensen.
- Washington Reading Corps, administered in Seattle through the Fremont Public Association, 206-694-6842.
- Stanford Book Fund Alliance for Education, 206-205-0345.
- Powerful Schools, community coalition serving Hawthorne, Whitworth, John Muir and Orca at Columbia elementary schools, 206-722-5543.
- Woodridge Elementary, Bellevue District, 425-456-6200. Needed: Bilingual speakers to help parents of English-as-a-Second-Language students with school procedures.
- Washington State PTA, 253-565-2153.
- The Family-Educator Partnership Project, which helps families with special-education students stay in touch with schools, 425-641-7504.
Volunteer tutoring agencies
- Central Area Youth Association, 206-322-6640.
- KidREACH, 206-622-0998
- Catholic Community Services' Youth Tutoring Program, 206-328-5659.
- Children's Literacy Project, Seattle University 206-296-6412.
- Washington Mutual One-to-One Tutoring Hotline, 800-433-0121.
Newspapers In Education
The Seattle Times' Newspapers In Education program provides newspapers for use by students of all ages in the classroom and relevant teaching materials for teachers to use with the newspaper. Needed: Donations.
To make a donation under $100, make checks payable to: Seattle Times Co., NIE Program, P. O. Box 70, Seattle, WA 98111.
To make a donation over $100, make checks payable to: Seattle Times Literacy Fund, c/o The Seattle Foundation, 425 Pike St., Ste. 510, Seattle, WA 98101-2334.