The Seattle Times
High School Sports

Low-graphic news index | Mobile site

Sunday, November 4, 2012 - Page updated at 10:00 p.m.

Bothell advances with 31-3 drubbing of Curtis

By Jim Riley
Special to The Seattle Times

BOTHELL — Star running back Danny Wilson was plagued with leg cramps, but the senior speedster was able to play enough to lead Bothell to a 31-3 win over Curtis in the first round of the state 4A football tournament Saturday night.

Wilson was limited to only 15 carries on a rainy night, but he made them count with two touchdown runs in the first half during Bothell's easy win.

Wilson, who has 20 touchdowns this season, said he could have played more and added to his 82 yards in the second half if he was needed.

"I think they just wanted to make sure I'll be ready for next week," Wilson said.

Bothell's defense made sure Wilson could rest for most of the second half. The Cougars had two interceptions, one returned for touchdown by Aaron Wilks early in the second half, and recovered three fumbles in the win.

"I'm really proud of our defense," Bothell coach Tom Bainter said. "They played a great football game and that's the kind of game you need in the playoffs. Our defense scored once and gave us the ball in great field position all game long."

Bothell struck quickly to take the lead. Derek Peterson returned the opening kickoff 42 yards to the Curtis 45, and it took only three plays for the Cougars to get into the end zone.

Wilson caught a pass for 14 yards and ran twice, the second for 19 yards into the end zone, to give Bothell the lead only 30 seconds into the game.

Curtis punted on its first possession but scored on its second on a 28-yard field goal by Jared Kingery.

After the Cougars regained their touchdown lead on a 43-yard field goal by Rilyn Gheradini, they used some good fortune and a great individual effort by Will McIntyre to build on the advantage.

With third-and-six from their 41, Ross Bowers lofted a long pass that McIntyre tipped into the air twice before catching it and diving to the Curtis 4.

Wilson took it in from there, carrying three Curtis defenders into the end zone. Darrin Laufasa ran in a two-point conversion to make it 18-3.

It didn't take long for Bothell (6-4) to put the game away in the second half. Wilks picked off a pass at the Curtis 14 and returned it to the end zone only 1:17 into the third quarter. Another fumble led to a 10-yard touchdown run by Bothell's Kizhan Proctor to make it 31-3.

Curtis (7-3), from the South Puget Sound League, lost three fumbles and two interceptions.

Copyright © The Seattle Times Company

Low-graphic news index
E-mail us
Search archive
RSS feeds
Graphic-enabled home page
Mobile site

Copyright © 2010 The Seattle Times Company