The Seattle Times
Nation & World

Low-graphic news index | Mobile site

Friday, April 26, 2013 - Page updated at 09:00 p.m.

Shipwrecked Seattleite, brother swim 14 hours to safety

The Associated Press

SAN JUAN — The fishing trip off the rugged north coast of St. Lucia was supposed to last all day, but about four hours into the journey, the boat’s electric system crackled and popped.

Dan Suski, 30, a business owner and information-technology expert from San Francisco, had been wrestling a 200-pound marlin in rough seas with help from his sister, Kate Suski, 39, an architect from Seattle. It was around noon Sunday.

He was still trying to reel in the fish when water rushed into the cabin and flooded the engine room, prompting the captain to radio for help as he yelled out the vessel’s coordinates.

It would be nearly 14 hours and a long, long swim for the Suskis before what was supposed to be a highlight of a sunny vacation would end.

As the waves pounded the boat they had chartered from the local company Reel Irie, more water flooded in. The captain threw life jackets to the Suskis.

“He said, ‘Jump out! Jump out!’ ” Kate Suski recalled in a telephone interview Thursday.

The Suskis, who were both wearing life jackets, obeyed and jumped into the water with the captain and first mate. The boat quickly sank.

The group was at least eight miles from shore, and waves more than twice their size tossed them.

“The captain was telling us to stay together, and that help was on its way and that we needed to wait,” Kate Suski said.

The group waited for about an hour, but no one came. “I was saying, ‘Let’s swim, let’s swim. If they’re coming, they will find us. We can’t just stay here,’ ” she recalled.

As they began to swim, the Suskis lost sight of the captain and first mate amid the burgeoning swells. Soon after, they also lost sight of land as it began to rain.

“We would just see swells and gray,” Dan Suski said.

A plane and a helicopter appeared in the distance and hovered over the area, but no one saw the siblings.

Several hours went by, and the sun began to set.

“There’s this very real understanding that the situation is dire,” Kate Suski said. “You come face to face with understanding your own mortality ... We both processed the possible ways we might die. Would we drown? Be eaten by a shark?”

“Hypothermia?” Dan Suski added.

“Would our legs cramp up and make it impossible to swim?” the sister continued.

They swam for 12 to 14 hours, talking as they pushed their way through the ocean. Dan Suski tried to ignore images of the movie “Open Water” that kept popping into his head and its story of a scuba-diving couple left behind by their group and attacked by sharks. His sister said she also couldn’t stop thinking about sharks.

“I thought I was going to vomit, I was so scared,” she said.

When they finally came within 30 feet of land, they realized they couldn’t get out of the water.

“There were sheer cliffs coming into the ocean,” she said. “We knew we would get crushed.”

Dan Suski thought they should try to reach the rocks anyway, but his sister disagreed. “We won’t survive that,” she told him.

They swam until they noticed a spit of sand. When they got to land, they collapsed, barely able to walk. It was past midnight, and they didn’t notice any homes in the area.

“Dan said the first priority was to stay warm,” she recalled.

They hiked inland and lay side by side, pulling up grass and brush to cover themselves and stay warm. Kate Suski had only her bikini on, having shed her sundress to swim better. Dan Suski had gotten rid of his shorts, recalling a saying when he was a kid that “the best-dressed corpses wear cotton.”

They heard a stream nearby but decided to wait until daylight to determine whether the water was safe to drink.

As the sun rose, they began to hike through thick brush, picking up bitter mangoes along the way and stopping to eat green bananas. “It was probably the best and worst banana I’ve ever had,” Dan Suski recalled.

Some three hours later, they saw a farmworker walking with his white dog. He fed them crackers, gave them water and waited until police arrived, the Suskis said.

The Suskis were hospitalized and received IV fluids. They also learned that the captain and mate were rescued after spending nearly 23 hours in the water.

St. Lucia’s tourism minister called it a miracle, and the island’s maritime-affairs unit is investigating what caused the ship to sink. Marine Police Sgt. Finley Leonce said they interviewed the captain, and police did not suspect foul play or criminal activity in the sinking of the ship.

A man who answered the phone Thursday at the Reel Irie company declined to comment except to say that he’s grateful everyone is safe.

The brother and sister said they don’t blame anyone for the sinking

“We are so grateful to be alive right now,” Kate Suski said. “Nothing can sort of puncture that bubble.”

The Suskis returned to their hotel in St. Lucia this week to recover from cuts on their feet, severe tendinitis in their ankles from swimming and abrasions from the life jackets.

“It’s really been amazing,” Dan Suski said. “It’s a moving experience for me.”

On Saturday, they plan to fly back to the U.S. to meet their father in Miami.

Once a night owl, Kate Suski no longer minds getting up early. “Since this ordeal, I’ve been waking up at dawn every morning,” she said. “I’ve never looked forward to the sunrise so much in my life.”

Low-graphic news index
E-mail us
Search archive
RSS feeds
Graphic-enabled home page
Mobile site

Copyright © 2010 The Seattle Times Company