The Seattle Times
Local News

Low-graphic news index | Mobile site

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - Page updated at 09:00 p.m.

Algona man pleads guilty in boy’s fatal stabbing

By Sara Jean Green
Seattle Times staff reporter

Brandon Suhr showed no emotion Monday when he pleaded guilty to first-degree murder with a deadly weapon and first-degree burglary with a deadly weapon, admitting he broke into his ex-girlfriend’s Pacific apartment last year and killed her 13-year-old brother with a knife and a samurai sword.

Tall, lanky and sporting a bushy red beard, Suhr, 20, of Algona, replied “yes,” “no” and “guilty,” in response to questions posed by King County Senior Deputy Prosecutor Brian McDonald and Superior Court Pro Tem Judge Chris Washington.

McDonald said the state plans to seek a 30-year prison term when Suhr is sentenced June 7 for killing Wally Denesha.

Denesha’s mother and sister were in court Monday but declined to speak with a reporter. His mother, who has Denesha’s name tattooed on her right forearm, wore a blue T-shirt that read, “In Memory of Walter 2012.”

Suhr’s demeanor was subdued compared with the sociopathic behavior he demonstrated during a July 2012 forensic psychiatric evaluation at Western State Hospital, according to the psychiatric report that is part of the court record.

“Simply put, like most sociopaths, Mr. Suhr was quite funny, irreverent, infectiously playful, superficially charming, and friendly whenever he was getting what he wanted from others, and was quick to turn to anger, impatience, yelling, cursing and disruptive or even menacing behavior when he was denied his immediate wishes,” says the report, which concludes Suhr has a personality disorder but does not suffer from a major mental illness.

Suhr broke into the home of his then-16-year-old former girlfriend late May 31 and fatally stabbed her brother before hiding the body in a closet, according to charging papers. Suhr then forced the girl to accompany him to his parents’ house, charges say.

The girl’s father called 911 just after 3 a.m. June 1 and reported that both of his children were missing, the charging documents say. His wife took the phone while her husband searched the house and discovered blood in an upstairs hallway and in his son’s bedroom, they say.

A 911 operator heard screams in the background, and the call was disconnected.

Officers arrived at the family’s house in Pacific and found Denesha’s body in a closet, the papers says.

About 20 minutes later, Suhr’s mother called 911 and reported that her son and the girl had arrived at her house and that the girl had told her Suhr had killed her brother and kidnapped her.

After Suhr was arrested, the girl told police she’d watched her brother die then had fought with Suhr, who allegedly choked her into submission, according to charging papers. He forced her to shower and write a note on a whiteboard in the kitchen, claiming responsibility for her brother’s death, the papers say.

The night before the stabbing, the girl had asked her mother how she could get a no-contact order against Suhr, who had been harassing her, charging papers says.

Suhr was apparently upset after the girl had broken up with him, the papers says.

Information from Seattle Times archives is included in this report.

Sara Jean Green: 206-515-5654 or

Low-graphic news index
E-mail us
Search archive
RSS feeds
Graphic-enabled home page
Mobile site

Copyright © 2010 The Seattle Times Company